The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be an energetic, enthusiastic and goal-oriented leader who can motivate and coach a team to success. If you are hungry for results and not afraid to “roll up your sleeves” and get into the details to achieve wins and accelerate the plan, this could be the opportunity you’ve been waiting for. Additionally, to be a good fit for this opportunity you will have:
- 5 years of retail experience gained in retail operations, preferably within a corporate or franchised environment. Grocery experience is an advantage, but is not required.
- Management experience and strong supervisory skills, including the ability to lead, supervise and direct a team of part-time and full-time employees, and delegate responsibility to the Assistant Manager, Key Holder and other members of the team.
- A solid track record of success in a high-growth, results-oriented environment with a large number of SKUs and fast turnover of product.
- Experience with store scheduling, merchandising, duty delegation, team morale, safety meetings, and the overall operation of the store.
- Experience assisting in the development of programs within a store to increase sales, productivity and efficiency.
- The ability to conduct training programs for employees and diplomatically handle employee and customer concerns while interfacing with the corporate office.
- Excellent customer service skills and ability to be calm and effective in a fast-paced environment.
- A team player mentality and proven accomplishments in developing high performance teams. Team management skills should include:
- Performance coaching
- Group development skills
- Self-motivation, drive and a strong work ethic.
- Polished interpersonal and communication skills.
- Bilingual English / Spanish abilities will be an asset.
The RoleReporting to a District Manager, as Store Manager you will serve as the key leader for the business and take point on a variety of store-wide activities including scheduling, ordering, merchandising and delegating responsibilities. You’ll be involved in all aspects of operations—from ensuring freight is unloaded on time and product is on the shelves to hiring and training employees. Our stores typically employ anywhere from 25 to 40 team members.
This is not an administrative role where you can lead from the sidelines. In addition to running a multi-million dollar business, we’ll look to you to take a proactive, hands-on approach to your activities, always stepping in to help where needed. Whether it’s unloading a pallet or jumping on the cash register to assist a customer, we’re looking for a self-starter who is eager to lead by example.
More specifically, you will be responsible for:
- Management of the entire store operation workforce, inventory control and replenishment, and the profitability of the store base.
- Leading recruitment, development and retention of a team that operates with clear objectives and strategies in order to achieve goals.
- Guiding, mentoring and delegating responsibilities to the Assistant Manager.
- Ensuring compliance with the company’s rules and regulations by all team members, including health and safety regulations.
- Embracing the company's values with respect to the treatment of employees and customers, profitability and growth.
- Providing operational expertise and implementing best in class practices necessary to support the success of the business.
- Managing work schedules according to the budgeted hours and business needs.
- Managing external vendors.
- Compliance and safety initiatives at the store level, and ensuring everyone who steps through our door has a safe and secure shopping experience.
Why UsStrong market -- we enjoy strong business during tough and good economic times. In fact, we have an aggressive growth strategy and are rapidly expanding in the states we serve -- California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas.
Career opportunities -- with our strong growth we anticipate a number of opportunities for advancement for our proven players. From this role you could pursue a district or other leadership position.
Customer commitment -- at 99 Cents Only Stores, we are committed to our customers’ safety and satisfaction, as well as helping to lead the way to a healthy way of life for people of all income levels. We strongly believe quality perishable foods need not be limited to those who can afford to shop at higher price stores.
Environmentally responsible / community oriented -- we are committed to recycling and reusing materials to promote better environmental stewardship. As part of our “Reverse Logistics” program, our goal is to recycle and reuse what we can. For example, cardboard, plastic shrink wrap, plastic bags and metal fixtures are recycled and used to make new products. The 99 Cents Only Stores chain is considered a major cardboard recycler in the United States.
Our efforts don't stop with recycling, reusing and reducing. We recently leased 40 compressed natural gas (CNG) powered tractors to replace our oldest diesel burning rigs. Additionally, we have partnered with the American Heart Association by sponsoring several Heart Walks in California and Texas throughout the year to raise awareness about cardiovascular illnesses and promote a healthy lifestyle.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive wage, we offer medical, dental, vision, life and other insurances, a 401(k) saving and retirement plan with a company match, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, holidays and personal days, and more.
Keys to SuccessThis is not a retail role where you’ll maintain the status quo, but one where you can directly influence the bottom line through leadership, direction, training and delegation. To excel here you will place a focus on leading and motivating your team to improved performance and success through coaching, mentoring, and developing team members. Our stores see an average of 1500 customers per day, receive an average of 150 pallets of freight each week and have over 7500 SKUs -- there simply is not any down time, so your team must continuously remain in motion, stocking shelves, ringing up purchases, answering questions and providing exceptional customer service. It's an atmosphere where you'll need to be skilled at delegation and managing multiple priorities. We offer a unique value proposition because other deep discount stores don’t have 60% grocery. That gives you a wonderful opportunity to add to your skills and, if you want to continue to advance with the company, prepare for your next role.
To be an outstanding Store Manager, you will be willing to get down in the weeds, but also have the strategic mindset to focus on the larger initiatives, store goals, and the development of your team. Strong teams are well-trained and have individual members who are invested in performance success, and who smile! Customers should feel welcome to ask for assistance and have a pleasant experience in doing so. A smile is a highly-effective customer service tool that brings a positive feeling to both the customer and employee, and brings improved morale to the team.
About UsWith more than 30 years of operating experience, 99 Cents Only Stores is the leading operator of extreme value retail stores in the southwestern United States. We currently operate 338 extreme value retail stores consisting of 244 stores in California, 44 in Texas, 33 in Arizona, and 17 in Nevada. Our stores offer a wide variety of consumable products with an emphasis on name brands and our items are primarily priced at 99¢ or less.
We believe that our differentiated merchandise mix, combined with outstanding value, enable us to appeal to a broad consumer demographic, increase overall traffic and frequency of customer visits, as well as strengthen customer loyalty. Our stores do over four times the sales volume and are significantly larger than traditional dollar stores, enabling us to offer a wider assortment of merchandise and provide customers with a spacious, comfortable shopping experience. Stores open for at least a year generated average net sales per estimated sellable square foot of $295 and average net sales per store of $5 million, which the Company believes are the highest in the dollar store industry.