The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be a District Manager with a background in the grocery industry, and experience working in a fast-paced, high-volume retail / grocery environment. You will have demonstrated success leading and developing teams while balancing responsibility for multiple locations.
To be considered for the District Manager position, you will need:
- 5+ years of experience as a grocery or retail District Manager.
- High-energy and a strong work ethic.
- A history of success overseeing multiple locations and driving growth.
- Solid grocery experience is a must.
- Strong basic management fundamentals and the ability to train and lead multiple levels and titles.
- The skill to positively impact and motivate teams, and professionally develop employees; strong presentation skills would be a plus.
- P&L understanding and experience.
- The ability to ensure all company guidelines, policies, procedures and best practices are followed.
- Sound judgment and the ability to handle employee problems or customer complaints effectively.
- Solid problem solving and analytical skills.
- A dedication to safety.
- The ability to work a flexible schedule and travel to multiple locations within your district, as well as to other districts on occasion.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; bi-lingual English / Spanish would be a plus.
- Computer skills including MS Office Suite applications including Word, Excel, PowerPoint.
The RoleAs District Manager, you will report to the Regional Director and be assigned a territory with approximately ten stores including a Store Manager and around forty Associates. On a high level, your mission will be to maximize profits through operational excellence and compliance with company standards. To achieve that goal, you will spend a great deal of time within the stores under your care, visiting two or three every day. While “hot spot” stores will require more visits, you’ll attend to every store, every week. You will review district and store data, conduct store walkthroughs and coach store management to improve results.
We'll expect you to take ownership of your assignment, running it like it’s your own business, while also encouraging an "ownership mentality" within the Store Managers. Working out of a “home” store, on a daily basis you will look at the corporate dashboard, review data, and strategize your day -- where you need to go and what needs to be done from merchandising to customer service to reviewing P&L reports, meeting with customers and more.
Specifically, you will:
- Drive consistent execution throughout your District, managing in a professional manner.
- Support the opening of new locations.
- Monitor district sales trends and make the necessary adjustments to maximize sales.
- Recruit, train and develop new managers.
- Demonstrate a hands-on management style, sense of urgency, and a positive attitude.
- Monitor and manage controllable expenses, ensuring they are in line with expectations.
- Work with the Regional Manager on the payroll budget; ensure proper scheduling (controlling overtime) while staying within budget.
- Manage inventory shrinkage throughout the district, including executing and monitoring all shrink reduction programs.
- Maintain a high level of customer service through personal interactions with associates and customers.
- Resolve customer service issues.
- Ensure the safety of all associates and customers.
- Recognize and reward positive employee performance.
Why UsStrong market -- we enjoy strong business during tough and good economic times. In fact, we have an aggressive growth strategy and are rapidly expanding in the states we serve -- California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas.
Career opportunities -- with our strong growth we anticipate a number of opportunities for advancement for our proven players. From this role you could pursue a regional or other leadership position.
Customer commitment -- at 99¢ Only Stores, we are committed to our customers’ safety and satisfaction, as well as helping to lead the way to a healthy way of life for people of all income levels. We strongly believe quality perishable foods need not be limited to those who can afford to shop at higher price stores.
Environmentally responsible / community oriented -- we are committed to recycling and reusing materials to promote better environmental stewardship. As part of our “Reverse Logistics” program, our goal is to recycle and reuse what we can. For example, cardboard, plastic shrink wrap, plastic bags and metal fixtures are recycled and used to make new products. The 99¢ Only Stores chain is considered a major cardboard recycler in the United States.
Our efforts don't stop with recycling, reusing and reducing. We recently leased 40 compressed natural gas (CNG) powered tractors to replace our oldest diesel burning rigs. Additionally, we are a proud sponsor of Heal the Bay’s Nothin' But Sand beach cleanup program and a multi-year partner of its annual, A Day Without a Bag event. As a successful, Southern California-based retail chain, 99¢ Only Stores’ support has been key in promoting greater awareness, broadening Heal the Bay’s base of members, and generating donations to support their science, education, community action and advocacy efforts.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive wage, we offer medical, dental, vision, life and other insurances, a 401(k) saving and retirement plan with a company match, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, holidays and personal days, and more.
Keys to SuccessAs already noted we’re in a very strong growth mode, especially in California and Texas. We expect to double in size in the next four years and are looking for a professional with a strong growth mentality. This is not a retail role where you’ll maintain the status quo -- you won’t come into perfectly run stores -- but one where you can directly influence the bottom and top lines through leadership, process improvements, training and other skills you’ll bring to the table. This is a role for a builder who thrives in a fast-paced, high-volume continuously changing retail environment. Our stores see an average of between 1200 and 1300 customers per day and receive an average of 150 pallets of freight each week. We offer a unique value proposition because other deep discount stores don’t have 60% grocery, meaning your grocery experience will be key to your success.
There will be challenges that will give you an opportunity to shine. For example, we don’t have complete company-wide SOPs or automated scheduling, which will allow you to identify and implement process improvements that will impact the P&L. You’ll define the optimal training strategies for your assignment and build a strong cohesive team.
To be an outstanding District Manager, you will be willing to "roll-up-your-sleeves" and get down in the weeds, but also have the strategic mindset to focus on the larger initiatives and goals. Ensuring consistency across stores, including deep understanding of expectations and goal buy-in from Store Managers, will be essential.
About UsWith more than 30 years of operating experience, 99¢ Only Stores is the leading operator of extreme value retail stores in the southwestern United States with 316 stores as of May 2013, located in the states of California, Texas, Arizona and Nevada. Our stores offer a wide variety of consumable products with an emphasis on name brands and our items are primarily priced at 99¢ or less.
We believe that our differentiated merchandise mix, combined with outstanding value, enable us to appeal to a broad consumer demographic, increase overall traffic and frequency of customer visits, as well as strengthen customer loyalty. Our stores do over four times the sales volume and are significantly larger than traditional dollar stores, enabling us to offer a wider assortment of merchandise and provide customers with a spacious, comfortable shopping experience. Stores open for at least a year generated average net sales per estimated sellable square foot of $295 and average net sales per store of $5 million, which the Company believes are the highest in the dollar store industry.