The RequirementsThe ideal candidate for this role will be highly-responsible, energetic, and enthusiastic leader. He/she will also be able to serve as a mentor to other team members by demonstrating exceptional customer service skills. a good attitude, and a drive to excel. Additionally, to be a good fit for the Key Holder position, you will have:
- 1 year of retail and/or customer service experience, preferably in a position requiring leadership abilities
- Proven reliability including promptness and very few absences, and a strong sense of responsibility
- Natural leadership ability including the ability to delegate responsibility and lead the team as needed
- The ability to assist the Store Manager and Assistant Store Manager, as requested, with store operations or special projects
- A strong work presence on the floor, modeling a positive work attitude and habits, and helping other team members succeed
- A detail-oriented mindset and the ability to multi-task
- Self-motivation and the disposition to thrive in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment
- A ability to take full ownership of your responsibilities, and the self-motivation to jump in and provide outstanding service to our customers
- The skill to promote a strong team environment
- Grocery experience would be a plus
- Bilingual English / Spanish abilities will be an asset.
The RoleReporting to the Store Manager, you will take responsibility for the store and crew when the Manager / Assistant Manager is out, and be responsible for a key to the store. You’ll lead the cashier or stocking crew from a hands-on position, delegating responsibility and managing employee and customer issues when you're in charge, and setting a strong example for the rest of the team when a manager is in. You’ll work alongside the team, getting product on the shelves, ringing up customers and stepping in when needed, Depending upon the size of the store, the team will have 25 to 40, mostly part-time members, but you will only be in charge of the team onsite as you perform your Key Holder duties.
Your duties will include:
- Assisting management in keeping the store flowing smoothly and efficiently in order to help increase sales and productivity
- Assisting with training for hourly associates
- Delegating duties when in charge
- Modeling a positive work attitude and habits, demonstrating the service level we expect from all employees
- Jumping in to help where needed
- Following all company policies and procedures
- Diplomatically handling employee and customer concerns when in charge of the store
- Encouraging a great TEAM environment
- Covering additional duties as assigned
Why UsStrong market -- we enjoy strong business during tough and good economic times. In fact, we have an aggressive growth strategy and are rapidly expanding in the states we serve -- California, Arizona, Nevada and Texas.
Career opportunities -- with our strong growth we anticipate a number of opportunities for advancement for our proven players. The next step from this role would be to Assistant Manager, and then Store Manager.
Customer commitment -- at 99 Cents Only Stores, we are committed to our customers’ safety and satisfaction, as well as helping to lead the way to a healthy way of life for people of all income levels. We strongly believe quality perishable foods need not be limited to those who can afford to shop at higher price stores.
Environmentally responsible / community oriented -- we are committed to recycling and reusing materials to promote better environmental stewardship. As part of our “Reverse Logistics” program, our goal is to recycle and reuse what we can. For example, cardboard, plastic shrink wrap, plastic bags and metal fixtures are recycled and used to make new products. The 99 Cents Only Stores chain is considered a major cardboard recycler in the United States.
Our efforts don't stop with recycling, reusing and reducing. We recently leased 40 compressed natural gas (CNG) powered tractors to replace our oldest diesel burning rigs. Additionally, we have partnered with the American Heart Association by sponsoring several Heart Walks in California and Texas throughout the year to raise awareness about cardiovascular illnesses and promote a healthy lifestyle.
Excellent compensation -- in addition to a competitive wage, we offer medical, dental, vision, life and other insurances, a 401(k) saving and retirement plan with a company match, flexible spending accounts, paid vacation, holidays and personal days, and more for employees working 32 hours per week or more.
Keys to SuccessAs already noted, you'll have the opportunity to directly influence the store's success through your leadership and mentoring efforts, hands-on support, and customer service finesse. To excel here you will have high expectations and demonstrate those expectations by meeting them yourself. When opening you can set the tone for the day and start the team out on the right foot. Your attitude and professional approach will be key to how the team responds to you and perform their jobs.
Some employees are surprised by the fast pace, but success requires that you be comfortable in a high-volume, continuously changing environment. Our stores see an average of 1500 customers per day, receive an average of 150 pallets of freight each week and we have over 7500 SKUs. We offer a unique value proposition because other deep discount stores don’t have 60% grocery, meaning you'll gain a wealth of experience working here. Build your skill and talent, and you can drive your future success with the 99¢ Only Stores.
About UsWith more than 30 years of operating experience, 99 Cents Only Stores is the leading operator of extreme value retail stores in the southwestern United States. We currently operate 338 extreme value retail stores consisting of 244 stores in California, 44 in Texas, 33 in Arizona, and 17 in Nevada. Our stores offer a wide variety of consumable products with an emphasis on name brands and our items are primarily priced at 99¢ or less.
We believe that our differentiated merchandise mix, combined with outstanding value, enable us to appeal to a broad consumer demographic, increase overall traffic and frequency of customer visits, as well as strengthen customer loyalty. Our stores do over four times the sales volume and are significantly larger than traditional dollar stores, enabling us to offer a wider assortment of merchandise and provide customers with a spacious, comfortable shopping experience.